Chesapeake apartment catches fire due to unattended candle, firefighters say

Local News

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A Chesapeake man will return home Sunday morning after an unattended candle caused a fire in his bedroom.

Local firefighters say they arrived to the home, located in the 1000 block of Thrive Place, at 7:24 a.m for reports of smoke in the area.

According to a press release, first responders forced their way into the unoccupied home and found an active fire in the bedroom.

Firefighters say they also found a dog inside and were able to safely remove him.

The fire was out less than ten minutes later, officials say.

Capt. Steve Bradley with the Chesapeake Fire Department took time to remind us of candle safety in the same press release.

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over.
  • Place candles on uncluttered surfaces.
  • Keep candles 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down
  • ALWAYS extinguish candles before you leave the house or go to sleep

Stay with WAVY.com for any updates.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Contact 10 On Your Side

Need 10 On Your Side?


Contact 10 On Your Side Click here for details.


Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook