MIDDLESEX, Va. (WAVY) — Officials say a body found on the shores of Middlesex County Oct. 1 has been identified as a person who was aboard a boat found adrift earlier that same day.
On Oct. 1, a sheriff’s office deputy responded to the Hallieford area for a report of a large boat adrift and bumping against a pier.
No one was on the board.
Virginia Marine Police also arrived to conduct further investigation.
Later that same day, the sheriff’s office received a report about a missing person.
As they were completing the paperwork for that missing person, the U.S. Coast Guard reported that a body had been found on the shore.
The remains weer identified as the person who had last been on the boat.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- American Red Cross holding blood drive at Chartway Arena in Norfolk Tuesday
- Person sustains injuries following shooting incident on North Military Highway in Norfolk
- 29-year-old driver dies after vehicle crashes into utility pole in Newport News
- Oscar Smith, Maury roll through region title games and into state semifinals
- ‘A pillar and stalwart’: Oldest living American dies at 116