Local church makes thousands of chocolate eggs for a good cause

News

YORK COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — Luke’s United Methodist Church in York County is all hands on deck to continue their tradition of making thousands of chocolate eggs for a good cause.

It’s a three-week process as they make over 8,000 Easter eggs from scratch. 

From the dough patters, to the chocolate dippers, and the frosting decorators, people put in countless hours to make it happen. 

The team of church and community volunteers say it’s hard work, but they’re happy to do it. 

“It’s a labor of love when you know you can help somebody else and it’s from Jesus, you’re representing him as a servant and it’s coming from you. You’re not paying for it but with blood, sweat and tears and lots of love,” said church member Amie Ansama. 

Project leader Debbie Frecker says they net about $25,000 to $30,000 in sales per year. 

75 percent of those funds go back into the community, the other 25 percent goes to items a committee of church members and people in the area ultimately decide who that money will help.

“The money sits there until we find someone we can make a significant tangible difference in their life, it’s not somebody with a chronic need, it’s somebody with an acute need,” explained Frecker,

Frecker says they’ve helped with it all in the 43 year tradition. 

“We’ve purchase motorized wheelchairs, we’ve outfited vehicles for transportation, we’ve paid medical bills we’ve paid the mortgage, we’ve put a roof on a house, we finished a house up in Gloucester after that tornado,” she listed thinking back on the past.

You can place an order by clicking this link.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories