Live horse racing slated to return to Colonial Downs in 2019

News
Colonial Downs

RICHMOND, Va. (WAVY) — New Kent will see a return of live, thoroughbred horse racing next year.

The Colonial Downs Group on Thursday announced it has been granted an operating license by the Virginia Racing Commission. 

Colonial Downs is planning to host 15 thoroughbred racing dates in conjunction with the Virginia Equine Alliance (VEA), between Aug. 8 and Sept. 7. A stable area with 1,000 stalls is slated to open July 25.

“This is an exciting step for everyone impassioned by the rebirth of live racing in Virginia and for our team delivering on our promise to revitalize horse racing in the Commonwealth,” John Marshall, senior vice-president and general manager of Colonial Downs Group, said in a statement.

Chicago-based Revolutionary Racing bought the New Kent County racetrack for upward of $20 million earlier this year. There has not been live racing at the track since 2014.

Colonial Downs said it is making a $300 million investment to the Commonwealth, creating 800 new jobs by the end of next year. A Norfolk based interior design company is currently helping to remodel the facility.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

Don't Miss

Nativo

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook