Las Vegas man charged in 2014 Newport News homicide

News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A third suspect has been charged in connection to a 2014 home invasion in Newport News that left one woman dead and another injured.

Newport News police announced the arrest of 34-year-old Calvon Whitehead, of Las Vegas, Nevada, in a tweet on Friday.

Calvon Whitehead. (Credit: Newport News Police Department)

Police said 32-year-old Katrice Major was killed on May 10, 2014 after three suspects forced their way into a home on Jefferson Avenue. Four children and two men were in the home at the time, along with Major and another woman.

Court documents showed the four adults were forced to the floor at gunpoint, and demanded to hand over their personal property. The intruders were said to have kicked the victims in the face, and talked about killing them and setting the house on  

Major was shot and killed during the incident; the other woman was shot in the arm.

Two other men were arrested in 2014 following the incident — Jason Robles and Joe Lewis Thomas. Robles was sentenced earlier this year on several charges, including second-degree murder, abduction and malicious wounding.

According to court records, a jury trial in Thomas’ case is scheduled to start May 22. He is faced with charges of first-degree murder, four abduction counts, robbery and three counts of use of a firearm in a felony.

Police said Friday they had obtained charges on Whitehead.

Whitehead is charged with first-degree murder, robbery, four counts of abduction, seven counts of use of a firearm in a felony, malicious wounding and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Stay with WAVY.com for the latest developments.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories