NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — The case of a man charged in the killing of a Virginia Beach mother will move forward.

PREVIOUS: Marie Covington coverage

Gary Morton , 43, is facing two felony charges in Norfolk. During a preliminary hearing Tuesday, a judge certified charges of second-degree murder and use of a firearm to a grand jury.

Morton is accused of killing 40-year-old Marie Darshaun Covington. He was arrested and taken into custody following a police chase in August.

A cell phone belonging to Morton was located in the driver’s seat of the SUV, along with two concealed semi-automatic pistols, and an open container of alcohol, court documents show. reported Covington was abducted from her home on Thalia Drive in Virginia Beach on August 17. Her family reported her missing to Virginia Beach Police Department a day later. Her oldest daughter Carla emailed WAVY-TV 10 for help.

“My mother was abducted Wednesday night after a domestic violence incident and the cops have done nothing at all.”

Later, State police issued a missing alert for her on August 20. Sadly, that same night her body was found on Galt Street in Norfolk.

10 On Your Side’s Investigations team reports this case reveals flaws in the process of locating missing people.

Inside the courtroom Tuesday, a Norfolk homicide detective testified in court. He said he interviewed Morton inside Chesapeake City Jail following the high-speed chase with Virginia State Police.

The detective stated that during the interrogation, Morton admitted that he had an argument with Marie Covington about her adult daughters.

Morton told the detective he needed Covington’s car “to get out of a situation.” Then he alleges there was a road rage incident that led to Covington being shot in the head. The detective believes there were no bullet holes to the car following the alleged road rage incident. Which led to more questions about Morton’s true motive. The detective said he was “trying to get the truth.”

The detective said in court, he could not get a clear answer from Morton who said the shooting ‘wasn’t an accident, but it wasn’t on purpose.’

Morton admits to the detective he put her body in a Norfolk trash can and her phone in a storm drain. He also cleaned the spattered blood and drove to Pennsylvania. Morton told police he felt guilty and drove back to Hampton Roads with plans to turn himself into to police after speaking with his mom. Morton’s mom tells 10 On Your Side he has a history of abusive behaviors against women.

PREVIOUS: Mother of murder suspect speaks out; prays for justice

The case will move to the Norfolk grand jury which will likely happen next month. Morton is also facing an abduction charge in Virginia Beach. He is expected in court for a prelim on February 9 at 8:30a.m.
Stay with as we follow this case.