Hertford councilman says arrest revealed red flags within local police force


HERTFORD, N.C. (WAVY) – A Hertford Councilman was arrested on Thursday after being accused of resisting an officer during a traffic stop.

According to an arrest report from the Hertford Police Department, an officer stopped Quentin Jackson’s vehicle near the intersection of King Road and Edenton Road because his vehicle displayed fictitious tags.

“He had a reason to stop me,” said Jackson.  “It was what happened after the stop that citizens should be concerned about.”

Jackson was driving without a license plate.  All he had was a piece of cardboard.

“I was on the way to the DMV actually, because my title had just came in,” Jackson added.  “I provided the officer with my registration, driver’s license and proof of insurance, which are all current.”

The councilman says he didn’t tell the officer who he was, because he wanted to be treated like everyone else.

“You shouldn’t get preferential treatment, because of your position,” Jackson added.

Jackson had a gun in the car, which is legally owned.  He says he spoke up when officers took the weapon out of his sight.

“He starts hitting the sirens and told me to ‘get back in the car,’” Jackson said.  “I said that’s fine.  I will get back in the car, but you are not going to play these games that you are trying to do with my weapon.”

Jackson says he just didn’t trust what officers would do.  Jackson tells 10 On Your Side there are big issues with the department.

“I think that officer wasn’t properly trained,” Jackson said.  “The guy didn’t even have handcuffs.”

Hertford Town Manager Brandon Shoaf didn’t want to comment on the arrest, but has launched an internal investigation into what happened.

Jackson, who just took office in December, says this case isn’t about him  It’s about making sure protocol is followed.

“We have an interim chief now, and we have body cameras, and none of them were wearing body cameras,” Jackson added.  “This is a major, major issue.”

Jackson was released on a $500 bond.  He will be back in court February 14.

The arresting officer said in the report that Jackson tried to delay his investigation and did not comply when the officer asked him to return to his vehicle.

Jackson was also charged with resisting, delaying and obstructing the officer. He was arrested and later released on bond.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook