PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — The Virginia Department of Health is reporting an additional 1,483 cases of COVID-19 statewide on Memorial Day, which is the highest one-day increase in the state.
While the health department reported 495 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, it said on Monday “VDH performed maintenance on its disease reporting system [Sunday]. COVID-19 data reported during that time were added to today’s numbers.”
Therefore, some cases reported Sunday during the maintenance period could be included in Monday’s total number.
As of Monday morning, May 25, Virginia has an overall number of 37,727 COVID-19 cases since the start of the outbreak. Of the 1,483 cases reported from Sunday, 1,439 have been confirmed by testing. Another 44 were probable cases, in which a patient who shows symptoms is diagnosed without testing.
This is a stark contrast to Sunday which saw less than 500 cases of COVID-19 reported from the day before.
VDH is also reporting 37 more deaths related to the virus, which brings the total to 1,208 statewide.
VDH is now breaking down the data between hard-hit Northern Virginia, the state’s main source of cases, hospitalizations and deaths, and the rest of the state, giving us a clearer picture of how the rest of the state is doing in comparison. Northern Virginia has delayed Phase 1 of reopening until at least May 28 due to its high number of cases. Accomack County on the Eastern Shore and Richmond City have also delayed Phase 1.
Here’s the latest local numbers for Tidewater:
- Accomack: 731 cases, 41 hospitalized, 11 deaths
- Chesapeake: 449 cases, 82 hospitalized, 14 deaths
- Franklin: 39 cases, 2 hospitalized, 1 death
- Gloucester: 30 cases, 7 hospitalized, 1 death
- Hampton: 181 cases, 30 hospitalized, 3 deaths
- Isle of Wight: 125 cases, 11 hospitalized, 3 deaths
- James City County: 197 cases, 55 hospitalized, 16 deaths
- Mathews: 5 cases, 2 hospitalized, 0 deaths
- Newport News: 245 cases, 38 hospitalized, 10 deaths
- Norfolk: 402 cases, 61 hospitalized, 6 deaths
- Northampton: 216 cases 21 hospitalized, 17 deaths
- Poquoson: 7 cases, 2 hospitalized, 0 deaths
- Portsmouth: 272 cases, 40 hospitalized, 11 deaths
- Southampton: 143 cases, 5 hospitalized, 2 deaths
- Suffolk: 300 cases, 46 hospitalized, 31 deaths
- Virginia Beach: 618 cases, 90 hospitalized, 20 deaths
- Williamsburg: 43 cases, 9 hospitalized, 3 deaths
- York: 69 cases, 9 hospitalized, 3 deaths
- Police: Man allegedly offers two females money for a sexual act; one was a juvenile
- Dominion Investment Group executive sentenced for $25M investment fraud
- NN Police: Suspect apprehended after discharging gun outside home
- Local Boy Scout troop’s equipment stolen twice in two weeks
- Williamsburg Police asking for help finding drivers that may have witnessed fatal crash