Payton is the first person in the NFL known to have tested positive for the virus.
Payton told ESPN he didn’t feel well on Sunday, took the test on Monday and received the results Thursday.
He said he is resting at home but said although he is fatigued, he does not have a fever or cough.
He encouraged others to heed government officials’ warnings about the virus.
- Norfolk State soars past South Carolina State 82-68
- Local protestors took to the streets, demanding justice following release of Tyre Nichols video
- Think outside the chocolate box: Best nontraditional Valentine’s Day gifts
- ODU repays the favor, beats Coastal Carolina at the free throw line in final seconds
- Old Dominion, Norfolk State women earn Saturday home wins