Payton is the first person in the NFL known to have tested positive for the virus.
Payton told ESPN he didn’t feel well on Sunday, took the test on Monday and received the results Thursday.
He said he is resting at home but said although he is fatigued, he does not have a fever or cough.
He encouraged others to heed government officials’ warnings about the virus.
- Result to come Friday in Virginia Beach House of Delegates recount
- Abortion restrictions may have the votes to pass in Virginia as pivotal Supreme Court decision looms
- Report: Mark Cuban buys Texas town that only has a mobile home park, strip club
- Migrant advocates decry restart of ‘Remain in Mexico’ program
- Bucs’ Antonio Brown, Mike Edwards suspended for violating COVID protocols