Payton is the first person in the NFL known to have tested positive for the virus.
Payton told ESPN he didn’t feel well on Sunday, took the test on Monday and received the results Thursday.
He said he is resting at home but said although he is fatigued, he does not have a fever or cough.
He encouraged others to heed government officials’ warnings about the virus.
- Wife watches virus-stricken husband die from a distance
- Watch Soon: Dr. Fauci on what’s next for the U.S. in the coronavirus battle
- Redskins coach Ron Rivera talks about potential draft scenarios
- Retired D.C. firefighter dies of COVID-19, family remembers him as a hero
- IOW family using social media to help make cloth masks