RALEIGH, N.C. (WAVY) — North Carolina had another record-breaking day for coronavirus metrics again on Wednesday.
The state reported 6,495 new cases and 2,440 current hospitalizations, both record highs, along with 56 new reported deaths.
The state has reportedly broken single-day records three times in the past week with over 6,000 new cases for consecutive days over the weekend.
- 6,495 new cases (410,527 total), record and trending up
- 56 deaths (5,661 total), elevated above most of pandemic, averaging about 25 per day
- 67 new current hospitalizations (2,440 total), record and trending up
- Test positivity: 11.7%, trending up
Here are the latest coronavirus case counts from local counties:
- Bertie 995 cases – 26 deaths (+12 cases)
- Camden 214 cases – 4 deaths (+6 cases)
- Chowan 689 cases – 18 deaths (+4 cases)
- Currituck 431 cases – 5 deaths (+15 cases)
- Dare 731 cases — 4 deaths (+13 cases)
- Gates 260 cases – 10 deaths (+2 cases)
- Hertford 1,079 cases – 42 deaths (+11 cases)
- Pasquotank 1,194 cases – 35 deaths (+21 cases)
- Perquimans 376 cases – 4 deaths (+5 cases)
For more on coronavirus in North Carolina, click here.
On Tuesday, Gov. Roy Cooper issued a new set of rules and regulations, including a curfew aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19, in light of the latest metrics.
The order will go into effect on Friday, December 11, and will remain in place until at least January 8, 2021.
“We already have strong safety protocols and capacity limitations in place – including a statewide mask requirement. With this additional action beginning Friday, we hope to get these numbers down. Our new modified Stay At Home order aims to limit gatherings and get people home where they are safer, especially during the holidays,” Cooper said. “It’s also a reminder that we must be vigilant the rest of the day – wearing a face mask when we are with people we don’t live with, keeping a safe distance from others and washing our hands a lot.”
For more on the order, click here.
- American Red Cross holding blood drive at Chartway Arena in Norfolk Tuesday
- Person sustains injuries following shooting incident on North Military Highway in Norfolk
- 29-year-old driver dies after vehicle crashes into utility pole in Newport News
- Oscar Smith, Maury roll through region title games and into state semifinals
- ‘A pillar and stalwart’: Oldest living American dies at 116