HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — The continuing spread of the coronavirus has prompted school closures in Virginia and North Carolina.
Each school district is handling closures differently. You can learn about how local leaders are responding here.
Many school districts will continue feeding students as they are able. Here is what you need to know about those feeding programs:
Food services will continue to serve meals to students Monday through Thursday at the following sites:
- Chincoteague Elementary School
- Arcadia High School
- Kegotank Elementary School
- Metompkin Elementary School
- Tangier Combined School
- Accawmacke Elementary School
- Pungoteague Elementary School
- Nandua Middle School.
Beginning Monday, April 17 lunch and breakfast items will be provided to children on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Meals will be given out to cover the entire week including Saturday and Sunday.
Locations serving food from 10 a.m. to 10:40 a.m.:
- B.M. Williams Primary School
- G.W. Carver Intermediate School
- G.A. Treakle Elementary School
- Oscar Smith High School
- Southwestern Elementary School
- Thurgood Marshall Elementary School
Locations serving food from 10:50 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.:
- Camelot Elementary School
- Crestwood Intermediate School
- Holly Cove
- Oscar Smith Middle School
- Truitt Intermediate School
The “Crusin’ Cafe will distribute food at the following locations and times
- Harbour North/Three Rivers parking lot: 10 a.m.
- Portlock Primary School: 10:30 a.m.
- Rena B. Wright Primary School: 11 a.m.
- MacDonald Manor parking lot: 11:30 a.m.
- Georgetown Primary School: 12 p.m.
Lunch and breakfast items will be served for three from Monday through Thursday between 9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. at the following locations:
- Abington Elementary – 7087 Powhatan Dr.
- Achilles Elementary – 9306 Guinea Rd.
- Petsworth Elementary – 10658 George Washington Memorial Hwy.
- Gloucester High School – 6680 Short Ln.
Students will receive an extra meal on Thursday to supplement for Friday.
Effective Monday, April 20 Hampton City Schools will be consolidating student meal services to Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays only from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Families can pick up two days worth of meals on Monday and Wednesday at the following locations:
- Aberdeen Elementary School — 1424 Aberdeen Rd.
- Bassette Elementary – 671 Bell Street (beginning Monday, April 6)
- Cary Elementary School — 2009 Andrews Blvd.
- Langley Elementary School — 16 Rockwell Rd.
- Moton Early Childhood Center — 339 Old Buckroe Rd.
- Hampton High School — 1491 West Queen St.
- Syms Middle School — 170 Fox Hill Rd.
- Tarrant Middle School — 1435 Todds Lane
Isle of Wight County Schools
Free meals are available for pick up on weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations:
- Smithfield High School
- Georgie Tyler Middle School
- Carrsville Elementary School
School buses will deliver meals to 31 locations in Isle of Wight County:
- Morris Creek Apartments/John Rolfe Area: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Wrenn’s Mill Estates: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Jones Creek Mobile Home Community: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Blairs Creek Mobile Home Community: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Carrollton Villa Apartments: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Smithfield Heights: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Queen Anne’s Court: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Carrollton Meadows: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Sandy Mount: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Woodbridge Townhomes: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Lakeside Housing: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Riverview: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Thomas Park Community: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Eagle Harbor Apartment: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Jersey Park Housing: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Jersey Park Apartments: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Smithfield Apartments: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Church Manor Apartments: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Cedar St. Apartments: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- The Nest: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Rushmere Fire Department: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Bradford Mews Apartments: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Pocahontas and Lincoln Ave pull off: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Walters Ruritan Club: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Beaver Brook Mobile Home Community: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Camptown Park: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Georgie Tyler Apartments: 11:30 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Windsor Manor Mobile Home Community: 12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Bethany Presbyterian Church Zuni: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Twin Ponds Mobile Community: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Clydesdale Mobile Community: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Breakfast and lunch is available for pickup for children at the Mathew High School bus loop on weekdays between 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
Families who need food delivery can call the Food Service Department at (804) 725-4684.
Free meals are available on weekdays from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at the following sites:
- An Achievable Dream Academy — 726 16th St.
- Epes Elementary School — 855 Lucas Creek Rd.
- Discovery STEM Academy — 1712 Chestnut Ave.
- Heritage High School — 5800 Marshall Ave.
- McIntosh Elementary School — 185 Richneck Rd
- Newsome Park Elementary School — 4200 Marshall Ave.
- Palmer Elementary School — 100 Palmer Ln.
- Warwick High School — 51 Copeland Ln.
- Kate’s Trace Apartment community, 600 Kate’s Trace Circle near the cul-de-sac (*11:30 a.m. to noon only)
- James River Flats apartment community, 400 Shelter Circle near the rental office(* noon to 12:30 p.m. only)
Norfolk Public Schools will serve grab-and-go breakfast and lunch meals to students Monday through Friday.
Norfolk Public Schools has expanded its meal distribution to include providing weekend meals to students starting May 1. Every Friday, children will be given additional breakfast and lunch items for Saturday in Sunday, in addition to their regular weekday meal.
Meals will be distributed at the following sites from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Azalea Gardens Middle School
- Booker T. Washington High School
- Camp Allen Elementary School
- Coleman Place Elementary School
- James Monroe Elementary School
- Lake Taylor School
- Norview Elementary School
- Oceanair Elementary School
- P.B. Young Elementary School
- Southside STEM Academy
- St. Helena Elementary School
- Suburban Park Elementary School.
NPS school buses will also continue to delivery food on weekdays at the following sites:
- Titustown Recreation Center: 11 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Huntersville Community Center: Noon – 12:30 p.m.
- Grandy Village Recreation Center: 1 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Beginning May 11, NPS will add five new food distribution sites. In a news release, the school system said these sites are being added due to an “increased demand for meals.”
The new distribution sites include:
- Crossroads School
- Little Creek Primary School
- Ocean View Elementary School
- Tanners Creek Elementary School
- Tidewater Park Elementary School
Also beginning May 11, meal distribution sites will adopt a new schedule.
Meals will be distributed on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Children will receive multiple meals on the days of distribution to account for food on Tuesdays, Thursday, and the weekends.
Northampton County Public Schools has temporarily stopped its food program after some employees were exposed to COVID-19.
Free meals will be distributed by Portsmouth Public Schools and the City of Portsmouth on weekdays.
Portsmouth Public School locations (breakfast and lunch):
- Churchland High — 4301 Cedar Lane 10:00 am to noon Churchland — Bus #232
- I.C. Norcom High — 1801 London Blvd 10:00 am to noon near Olde Towne — Bus #259
- Wilson High — 1401 Elmhurst Av 10:00 am to noon Hodges Ferry Bus — #244
- W.E. Waters Middle — 600 Roosevelt Blvd 10:30 am to noon Cavalier Manor – Bus #262
- Cradock Middle — 21 Alden Ave 10:30 am to noon Cradock – Bus #265
- Churchland Elementary — 5601 Michael Ln 10:30 am to noon Churchland – Bus #242
- Churchland Primary & Intermediate — 5700 Hedgerow Ln 10:30 am to noon Churchland – Bus #252
- John Tyler Elementary — 3649 Hartford St. 10:30 am to noon near Maryview Hospital – Bus #271
Magic food bus locations (breakfast and lunch):
Parks & Recreation locations (lunch and dinner):
- Social Services Building — 1701 High St noon to 2:00 pm near I.C. Norcom area
- Neighborhood Facility Recreation Center — 900 Elm Av noon to 2:00 pm near Westbury area
- Cavalier Manor Recreation Center — 404 Viking St. noon to 2:00 pm in Cavalier Manor area
- J.E. Parker Recreation Center — 2430 Turnpike Rd noon to 2:00 pm in Mt. Hermon area
- Cradock Recreation Center — 308 Allen Rd noon to 2:00 pm in Cradock area
- Grace Christian Church — 3709 Elliott Av noon to 2:00 pm near New Gosport area
- Noble St Baptist Church — 100 Noble St noon to 2:00 pm in Truxton/Douglass Park area
- Grove Church — 5910 W. Norfolk Rd noon to 2:00 pm in Churchland area
- St. Johns Baptist Church — 2200 Effingham St noon to 2:00 pm near Norfolk Naval Shipyard
Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority:
- Hamilton Place — 3402 Turnpike Rd. noon to 2:00 pm near Rodman Ave.
- Seaboard Square — 2847 Berkley Av. noon to 2:00 pm near S.H. Clarke
- Dales Homes — Columbus Ave. & Jefferson St noon to 2:00 pm near Frederick Blvd
- Hope Village — 604 6th St. noon to 2:00 pm near Norfolk Naval Shipyard
Department of Social Services:
- Swanson Homes — 1746 South St. noon to 2:00 pm near Prentis Park
- London Oaks — 2680 High St. noon to 2:00 pm near Mt. Hermon
Bagged breakfast and lunch will be served on weekdays at King’s Fork High School from 9 a.m. to noon.
Food will also be distributed by bus at the following sites:
- Knights Inn Holland Rd. (Food Lion Parking Lot): 9 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Pioneer Elementary School: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Holland Rd. Ballfield: 9:50 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Old Pure Station at Holy Neck: 10:25 a.m. to 10:40 a.m.
- Old Western Elementary: 10:45 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Whaleyville Food Mart: (Old J&L): 11:20 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
- Whaleyville Rec. Center: (by the Fire Station) 11:50 a.m. to 12:05 a.m.
- Temple Bethel Entrance: 9:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Plummer Blvd. & Skinner Blvd.: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Old Townpoint & Skeet: 9:45 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Brookwood Ct. & Brookwood Dr.: 10:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Townpoint & Pughsville Rd: (Veteran’s Hall) 9:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- 6000 Old College Dr.: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Col. Fred Cherry Middle (front of school): 10:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Studios 4 Less (Ports. Blvd.): 9:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Nansemond River High School (front of school): 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Creekside Elementary: 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Bullock Mobile Park (All 4 Entrences): 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Chuckatuck Square: 9:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- YMCA Godwin Blvd.: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- King’s Landing: 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Majestic Dr. & Squires Reach: 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Elephant’s Fork Elementary: 9 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Regal Inn-Pruden: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Saratoga Park: 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Lakeside Park: 11 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Library Parking Lot W. Washington St.: 9 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Peanut Park: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Colander Bishop: 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Corner of Finney & Holladay St.: 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- 2nd Ave. & Bute St.: 11 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Kilby Shores Elementary: 9 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Suffolk Station (office): 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Nancy Dr. (Autumn Ridge & Lynhill): 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Cogic Square: 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Hoffler Apartments: 9 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- BTW School: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Hollywood (community center pool): 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Clary’s Dr. & N. Capitol St.: 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Suffolk Recreation Center (6th St.): 11:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- October Station – Megan Ln. & Freeny Ave.: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Lake Kennedy (Park): 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Culloden St. & Van Buren Ave.: 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Hunter St. & Park: 11 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Wilson Pines (Mailboxes): 9 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
- Heritage Acres: 9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Magnolia Lakes (Office): 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
Free meals will be available for all children on weekdays from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following sites:
- Cedar Ridge Elementary
- Central Middle
- Copeland Elementary
- Flat Rock Elementary
- Gentry Middle
- Meadowiew Magnet Middle
- Mountain Park Elementary
- Pilot Mountain Elementary
- Pilot Mountain Middle
- Rockford Elementary
- Shoals Elementary
- Surry Central High
- Westfield Elementary
- White Plains Elementary
Free meals will be provided on weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon at the following locations:
- Arrowhead Elementary
- Bayside Elementary
- Birdneck Elementary
- Brookwood Elementary
- College Park Elementary
- Cooke Elementary
- Green Run Elementary
- Holland Elementary
- Kempsville Meadows Elementary
- Kings Grant Elementary
- Luxford Elementary
- Lynnhaven Elementary
- Malibu Elementary
- Newtown Elementary
- Parkway Elementary
- Pembroke Meadows Elementary
- Point O’View Elementary
- Rosemont Elementary
- Seatack Elementary
- Shelton Park Elementary
- Tallwood Elementary
- Thalia Elementary
- White Oaks Elementary
- Williams Elementary
- Windsor Oaks Elementary
- Windsor Woods Elementary
- Woodstock Elementary
- Bayside Middle Bayside 6th Grade Campus
- Brandon Middle
- Corporate Landing Middle
- Larkspur Middle
- Lynnhaven Middle Plaza Middle
- Bayside High
- Green Run High
- Atlantis Apartments
- Ebenezer Baptist Church
- Friendship Apartments
- Level Green Community Park
- Enoch Baptist Church
A third meal — dinner — will be offered at specific sites starting May 11, including:
Williamsburg/James City County
Free meals will be distributed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the following locations:
- James River Elementary School, Front Entrance – WATA Route 1
- James Blair Middle School, Bus Parking Lot – WATA Route 2 & Route 5
- Toano Middle School, Front Entrance – WATA Route 9
- Warhill High School, Student Parking Lot – WATA Route 4
Free meals will be available for pick up on Mondays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations:
- Magruer Elementary
- Tabb High School
- York High School
Grab and go lunches are available from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday at Grandy Primary School in the cafeteria.
Free meals will be served on weekdays from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the following sites:
- Knotts Island Elementray School — 413 Woodleigh Rd.
- Gibbs Woods Community Center — 332 East Gibbs Rd.
- Carolina Village — 111 Universal Cir.
- Ranchland — 100 Ranchland Dr.
- Moyock Middle School — 216 Survey Rd.
- Wedgewood Lakes — 106 Wedgewood Blvd.
- Ponderosa Parking Lot Bens Bonanza
- Currituck County High School — 4203 Caratoke Hwy.
- Coinjock Boat Ramp — 482 Waterlily Rd.
- Griggs Elementary School — 261 Poplar Branch Rd.
- Waterview Shores Subdivision Waterview Dr.
- Walnut Island Walnut Island Blvd.
- Soundside Park — 8955 Caratoke Hwy.
- Jarvisburg Elementary School — 110 Jarvisburg Rd.
Free meals will be served on weekdays. Breakfast will be served from 7:45 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. and lunch will be available from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Meals will be served at the following sites:
- Manteo Elementary School
- First Flight Elementary School
- Cape Hatteras Elementary School
- Wanchese, Bethany United Methodist Church
- Manteo, Roanoke Community Center (Head Start)
- Stumpy Point, Community Center
- Manns Harbor, Fire Department
- East Lake, South Lake Drive
- Nags Head, Tanger Outlet & Dowdy Park
- Kill Devil Hills, Belk Center
- Kitty Hawk, Daniels Home Import & Kitty Hawk Elementary
- Avon, 40591 NC Hwy 12 (Parking lot beside Burger Burger)
- Tri-Villages, Community Building
- Buxton, Cape Hatteras Elementary
- Hatteras Village Civil Center
- Colington, TJ’s Gas & Grill
Free meals will be served on weekdays. Breakfast will be served from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Lunch will be served from noon to 2 p.m. Meals will be served at the following locations:
- J.C. Sawyer Elementary School — 1007 Park St.
- Pasquotank Elementary School — 1407 Peartree Rd.
- Sheep-Harney Elementary School — 200 W. Elizabeth St.
Meals are available to all youth ages 1 to 18, or still enrolled in K-12 school. NOTE: Exceptional Children students are eligible up to age 22.
This is an evolving list and we will update it as the information becomes available.
- Man injured in shooting on Broad Street in Portsmouth
- Crews respond to fire on Brandon Boulevard in Virginia Beach
- Overturned vehicle on I-64 in Newport News closes westbound travel lanes
- Officers, family and friends remember late Officer Katie Thyne
- Man dies in shooting on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News