NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Students at Granby High School were dismissed early following a power outage and a bomb threat.
Battalion Chief Harry Worley with Norfolk Fire-Rescue said an electric pole exploded, causing a fire in front of the school. No injuries were reported.
According to a Dominion Energy spokesperson, they believe a squirrel chewed on an underground cable causing it to fail, which led to the blown fuse. Crews expect to have power restored by 3 p.m.
Norfolk Public Schools spokesperson Khalilah LeGrand said the malfunction caused “a major power outage” at the high school. As a result, the school started dismissing students at 10:30 a.m.
LeGrand said a bomb threat that was made after the transformer issue was deemed not credible.
A “very coordinated effort’ to transport the students is now underway, LeGrand said.
No one is being allowed to enter or leave through the front entrance of the school. Parents looking to pick up students must go to Thole Street and provide ID.
Stay with WAVY.com for the latest developments.