CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A family is displaced and their pet dog died after their home caught fire on Thursday in the Deep Creek section of Chesapeake.
Capt. Steven Bradley with the Chesapeake Fire Department said firefighters were called to the home in the 1400 block of Deep Creek Boulevard just after 2:15 p.m. after patrolling police officers noticed smoke.
Responding units found heavy fire show from a mobile home. Bradley says the fire was quickly extinguished and was under control by 2:40 p.m.
No one was home at the time of the fire, but a pet dog was inside and did not survive, Bradley said.
Investigators say the fire was caused by a space heater that was plugged into an extension cord.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Stay on WAVY.com for any updates.