First Flight schools on Outer Banks closed Wednesday after bomb threat

Dare County Sheriff's Office generic_148234

KILL DEVIL HILLS, N.C. (WAVY) — School administrators decided to close all three First Flight schools on Wednesday as police investigated a bomb threat made toward First Flight High School.

Dare County Schools spokesperson Keith Parker said administrators were alerted to the bomb threat Wednesday morning, and all three schools were closed as a precautionary measure.

Dare County deputies conducted an extensive search of the high school. They cleared all three schools from the threat around 10:30 a.m., but the schools remained closed for the rest of the day.

Wednesday’s threat comes just two days after a separate threat on social media that sent the schools into lockdown. Dare County deputies detained a person in connection to the threat, which “indicated the threat of a shooting at First First High School,” Dare County Superintendent John Farrelly said.

The Dare County Sheriff’s Office is investigating both incidents.

Wednesday afternoon, the Dare County Schools superintendent sent a message home to all parents and guardians regarding the incident.

In the message, Superintendent John Farrelly said First Flight High School will reopen Thursday.

Farrelly detailed another incident that happened on Monday, when all three First Flight schools went into lockdown around 11:45 a.m. after a threat was made.

Investigation by authorities revealed a direct threat wasn’t made to the school, but resulted in legal action “being pursued” against a student that threatened another student.

“While there was never a direct threat to the school, that was not apparent given the initial evidence. I applaud the Dare County Sheriff’s office for being proactive and for our shared commitment to keeping our schools safe at all times,” Farrelly said.

On Wednesday, school administrators became aware of a social media post around 6:30 a.m. that said there was a bomb at First Flight High School.

Explosive-detecting dogs went through all three First Flight campuses, but did not find any explosive devices.

All three schools were closed due to their proximity to the high school, Farrelly said.

The social media post was a hoax, the superintendent said.

Law enforcement is still working to find who made the post, as making a threat against a school is a felony, Farrelly said.

Teachers and guidance staff at all three schools are offering counseling services to all students at the schools who may have experienced axiety or trauma from the events this week.

Farrelly also said the principals have communicated with both students and staff at the schools about the incident, including during the morning news broadcast and through an interview with student journalists, emails and other announcement messages.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook