Firefighters rescue dog from Suffolk house fire

News
Cottonwood Court fire Suffolk

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A dog’s life was saved by Suffolk firefighters on Monday after a house fire in the Kilby Shores area of the city. 

Firefighters arrived at 5:10 p.m. in the 100 block of Cottonwood Court and found heavy smoke coming from the first floor of the two-story home. 

The fire was in the kitchen, and while firefighters tackled the source, others raced up to the second story to find the family’s dog upstairs.

The dog was unresponsive, but with a little bit of oxygen, it bounced back to life. 

The fire started around 5 p.m. according to a release from the City of Suffolk. The two residents were already out of the home before firefighters arrived after being alerted by a neighbor who was walking in the area. 

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames, but the kitchen and an adjacent room sustained heavy fire damage. The rest of the home also sustained smoke damage, according to officials. Officials say the fire was accidental due to unattended cooking. 

The home’s residents have been displaced.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook