Family of 4 displaced after fire heavily damages IOW house

News
GULLANEFIRE4_1542137002625.jpg

SMITHFIELD, Va. (WAVY) — A fire heavily damaged a house in Isle of Wight County overnight Tuesday, displacing four people in the process.

Chief Jerry Hackney with Smithfield Volunteer Fire Department said crews were called to the 100 block of Gullane in the Cypress Creek community just before 12:45 a.m. 

Hackney said the fire started in the first floor of the house, and extended upstairs. 

Working smoke alarms woke up the family. One person had a very minor burn on their head and didn’t require transport to the hospital.

Hackney said they originally thought the cause of the fire was unattended candle. It was determined the actual cause of the fire was electrical and accidental in nature. 

There was little damage visible on the outside the house, but Hackney said there was heavy damage throughout the interior.

Crews with the Carrollton Volunteer Fire Department , Windsor and Isle of Wight Volunteer rescues and the Suffolk Fire Department.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

***EXPERTS***

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories