Fairfax releases second statement on sexual assault allegations

News

RICHMOND, Va. (WAVY) — Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax is once again responding to the allegations of sexual assault made against him by a woman he says he met at a Democratic National Convention over a decade ago. 

The same website, which claims to be a news site, that first posted about the blackface photo on Governor Ralph Northam’s 1984 yearbook page last week, shared the woman’s private social media post with the accusation. 

Fairfax has said the allegations are false and claims the encounter he had with the woman in 2004 was consensual.

Special Coverage: Governor Under Fire

In his most recent statement posted to his Twitter on Wednesday, Fairfax says the past couple days have been “emotional” for him and his family and he asks the media, his supports and others to treat both his family and the accuser with respect during the tough time. 

The Associated Press reported that the accuser has since consulted a Washington law firm to talk about her next steps.

Fairfax reiterated that the accusations against him were first taken to The Washington Post more than a year ago — shortly before his inauguration — and that the paper decided not to publish a story on the allegation. 

Fairfax also says he shared his account of the events with leaders in Richmond after he met with Post. 

“If we learned anything from the past week, it’s that we have to listen to people’s experiences to learn from them so we can make progress,” Fairfax continued in the statement. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Election Day Links

More Election Day Links

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories