Embassy Suites in Hampton evacuated after fire

Embassy Suites fire

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — The Embassy Suites hotel in Hampton was evacuated after a fire led to water damage on several floors Thursday night. 

Hampton dispatchers got the call at 7:16 p.m. for a fire in a room on the 10th floor of the hotel in the 1700 block of Coliseum Drive. Firefighters say the fire was contained in the room, but there’s water damage to the floor and floors below after a sprinkler activated. 

64 rooms in total were impacted and had to be temporarily condemned, firefighters say, and 449 people were at the hotel in 201 rooms at the time of the fire. 

Hampton Fire Battalion Chief Anthony Chittum says the fire was accidental, started by several candles. 

The building has been evacuated and the convention center next door has been opened for guests in the meantime. The hotel says it has enough rooms so no one has to move to a different hotel. 

Check back to WAVY.com for updates. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook