VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach and Portsmouth have both declared Election Day, Nov. 3, a city holiday — and as of Oct. 28, Norfolk has been added to the list.
That means most city offices in those localities will be closed, with a few exceptions.
For Norfolk residents, the holiday means that all city offices, libraries (except those in use as polling locations) and recreation centers, the City Treasurer and Commissioner of the Revenue offices, and the Norfolk Courthouse will be closed.
Trash, recycling, and bulk waste collection will take place as scheduled.
For full details, click here.
In Portsmouth, Nov. 3 trash, bulk and recycling collections will be rescheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 4.
Curbside library service at the Portsmouth Public Library will be closed Election Day.
Exceptions to the Election Day closures in Portsmouth include:
- High Street Visitor Center Kiosk: Open Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- The Links Golf Course, 140 City Park Avenue: Open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.
- Bide-A-Wee Golf Course, 1 Bide-A-Wee Lane: Open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.
“We heard requests from community leaders to make Election Day a City holiday, and after considering the many challenges the pandemic poses on our voting process, it seems prudent to take this step,” said Mayor Bobby Dyer. “We want to ensure as many City employees as possible are able to exercise their rights to vote.” This action does not change the official City holiday calendar for 2021 and beyond.
Exceptions to the holiday closures in Virginia Beach include:
- City parks: Open 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Recreation centers: Closed for registered fitness activities or swimming. Childcare programs for Nov. 3 will take place as planned
- Virginia Aquarium: Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tickets must be purchased online.
- Virginia Beach Animal Care and Adoption Center: Open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Virginia Beach Farmers Market Merchants: Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Waste Management services: Normal collection for trash, recycling, yard waste, and bulky item services.
- Landfill and Resource Recovery Center, 1989 Jake Sears Road: Open for normal hours of operation from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Residents can get more information by contacting VB311 Citizen Services by dialing 311 on landlines or cell phone within the city limits. Visit the city website for online assistance.
- Tractor-trailer jackknifes on I-264 closing all westbound lanes near Downtown Tunnel
- 2 NYPD officers, suspect shot in Harlem; police confirm 22-year-old officer dead
- Power restored at Chowan University in North Carolina
- Delisha Milton-Jones named finalist for Hall of Fame
- Maury boys unbeaten this season, charging for deep postseason run