NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A Newport News man has been sentenced to 21 years in prison for his role in several armed robberies.
Darrell R. Pittman, 21, planned a series of armed robberies in Hampton, Newport News and Richmond, according to a Department of Justice news release.
During that series of robberies, he pointed a gun at each victim and threatened violence. In Hampton and Newport News robberies, he stole vehicles at gunpoint. During those incidents, he led police on high-speed pursuits through residential areas.
Pittman and four others were also involved in a crash after a shoplifting incident at Kohl’s in Newport News in January 2019. That crash left 78-year-old Elizabeth May Verley dead.
Pittman ran from the scene and was later taken into custody by Chesapeake Police.
- Police looking for two women accused of stealing from Virginia Beach liquor store
- Police looking for repeat offender accused of stealing from liquor stores
- 2020 Ferguson North American Sand Soccer Championships canceled this year
- Norfolk Police asking for help identifying men who broke into convenience stores
- Williamsburg Police looking for person who didn’t pay for 7-Eleven items