JAMES CITY COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — A James City County man was arrested after authorities say he sent unsolicited messages to a 16-year-old girl, requesting photos and sexual acts.
The James City County Police Department says Michael Stephen Smith, 61, sent the messages through Facebook Messenger on or about June 6. Police say he offered the girl money for the sexual acts, and Smith is known to the family of the victim.
Police say warrants were obtained and Smith was arrested and charged with two counts of use of communications systems to facilitate offenses involving children.
Smith was taken to Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail.
- Virginia General Assembly passes bill to make some abortions more affordable
- Foodbank of the Albemarle expands to provide more meals
- Hope instead of hostility: Outlook brighter for area’s immigrant community with new administration
- All border wall construction projects must stop by Wednesday, contractors are told
- Sailor from Hampton Roads says Biden lifting transgender military ban makes ‘us a stronger nation’