HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Hampton Police say one man is dead following a shooting Tuesday evening.
Police say they are asking for the public’s help identifying a suspect or suspects in the shooting.
The call originally came in as a vehicle crash, according to Hampton Police Division news release.
They were called to the scene around 6:15 p.m.
Officers arrived to find a man, later identified as 20-year-old Zawaan Gary, of Yorktown, who had been shot inside a vehicle. The vehicle hit a residence.
Video and images from the scene showed the vehicle up against a damaged garage door.
Police say preliminary investigation shows the Gary was driving on Webster Street when he was hit by gunfire.
His vehicle then struck a power pole and two vehicles before hitting the home.
The circumstances and motive in the incident are still under investigation.
Police do not have any suspect information to release at this time.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887) or submit a tip online.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Unlicensed 18-year-old arrested after high-speed pursuit on I-64
- Second stimulus checks: What’s the status of $1,200 payments?
- Isle of Wight schools return all grade levels to hybrid in-person learning this week
- Norfolk mastectomy boutique helping breast cancer patients by providing unique service and support
- Health Insurance Marketplace opens for enrollment throughout Virginia this week