UPDATE (5/24/2018): FRANKLIN, Va. (WAVY) – The City of Franklin now says they have no information that indicates that a business that was destroyed by fire last week was operating before it was permitted to do so.
FRANKLIN, Va. (WAVY) — An internet cafe that had recently opened inside a Franklin business was operating illegally before the store burned to the ground, according to the Franklin Fire Department.
The cafe never had a city inspection, nor a permit to operate according to Capt. Tim Dunn of the Franklin Fire Department. A local couple had just added the cafe to the Trinkettes & Treasures thrift store about a month ago.
“The business shouldn’t have opened because it wasn’t inspected,” said Dunn “You can not open a business in Franklin until you have a floor plan inspected by our building inspector.”
However, the internet cafe did have the zoning approved for the site.
Officials haven’t determined whether the electrical fire was sparked by something within the cafe at this time.
The building’s owner could not be reached for comment.
Stay with WAVY.com for the latest details.