Cigarette tossed on mulch leads to fire at Red Robin in Chesapeake

Ches Red Robin Edwn Way fire_1553804656231.PNG.jpg

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A fire Thursday afternoon at the Red Robin on Eden Way North was started by an improperly extinguished cigarette, fire officials say. 

Fire crews were dispatched to the restaurant at 3:31 p.m. and found a fire inside a restaurant wall. Firefighters then opened the wall using chainsaws and were able to extinguish it before it spread, officials said in a press release. 

It was marked under control at 4:13 p.m. and was fully extinguished at 4:39 p.m.

Fire officials say a cigarette landed on mulch, which caught fire and spread into the restaurant through the wall.

The restaurant is slated to be closed until the damage is assessed. 

Correction: Firefighters were working a fire on Centerville Turnpike and then responded to the Eden Way Red Robin. WAVY apologizes for the error

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook