Chesapeake apartment fire displaces six

News
fire-truck-lights-generic_1522124354693.jpg

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Fire officials believe a grill being used on a balcony caused a fire that displaced six people from their Chesapeake apartment on Wednesday. 

The fire broke out around 4:30 p.m. at the 2-story, 4-unit apartment in the 4100 block of Hamilton Street in the Portlock area of the city.

Firefighters arrived minutes later and found flames coming from the second floor. The fire was brought under control by 4:56 p.m., fire officials say. No significant damage to adjacent apartments was reported. 

Officials say some of apartment’s residents have found lodging arrangements, while others are being assisted by the Red Cross. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

***EXPERTS***

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories