Charges withdrawn against man accused in armed robbery

News
Newport News Police Generic WAVY Photo

UPDATE (March 13, 2019): All charges against Dakwon Whiting were nolle prossed, or withdrawn, in Newport News General District Court on Wednesday, March 13, 2019.


PREVIOUS COVERAGE (Nov. 8, 2018)

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Police in Newport News say a man was robbed at gunpoint after he went to an apartment parking lot, thinking he was buying a gaming system.

Newport News police said 21-year-old Dakwon Whiting is facing multiple charges in connection to the alleged incident.

Police said the victim, a 24-year-old man from Suffolk, went to the parking lot of the Seven Oaks Apartments on Oct. 22 to buy the system from someone he had been speaking with through an online app.

Two suspects with a bag approached the man, but police said one them pulled out a gun and took his wallet as well as some cash.

Police said the suspects told the man to leave his car in the parking lot. The man then fled the area and flagged down officers in the area of 36th Street and Wickham Avenue.

The man’s car was still in the lot when he and officers later returned to the scene.

Police said Whiting was arrested on Nov. 7. 

Whiting is charged with robbery, shooting firearm in public place, use of firearm in commission of a felony and reckless handling of firearm.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook