Charge withdrawn against suspect in alleged prom threat

News
Terror_plot_at_Virginia_Beach_prom_stopp_0_20180612221843

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A charge was withdrawn Wednesday against one of the suspects in an alleged foiled terror plot at a prom in Virginia Beach.

Virginia Beach police said 18-year-old Michael Coleman and a 17-year-old were charged in an alleged plot earlier this month at Bayside High School’s prom at the Westin in Town Center. 

The charge against the 17-year-old was nolle prossed during a Wednesday morning hearing, the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office confirmed.

Police and school district officials said Coleman had made threats against specific people within Bayside High’s school zone. Officers received word that Coleman was staying at the hotel.

Coleman reportedly took off running when officers tried to stop him outside the hotel. A search of his hotel room led authorities to his 17-year-old alleged accomplice as well as a 45-caliber rifle with a fully-loaded magazine.

A charge of conspiring to commit a terroristic act was nolle prossed — or withdrawn — against the 17-year-old Wednesday.

The Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office says this is “an ongoing investigation and prosecution” and would not comment further on the reason for the charge being withdrawn.

Stay with WAVY News 10 for updates.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Nativo

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook