VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — As we move farther into the coronavirus pandemic, you may hear your kids saying, ‘I’m bored!’ Well, one 14-year-old in Virginia Beach has yet to say those words.
Alannah Weathers took this time to focus on her business and now it’s thriving. Alannah was just 13 years old when she launched her catering company, Janae’s House of Bread, in March.
“Baking is just something that I found very helpful and fun at a young age,” said Alannah.
In a matter of weeks, coronavirus hit and so did the shutdowns.
“I saw that most businesses, like food businesses, started to close down and I know people still wanted quality food, and knowing that I bake in a clean environment and use PPE, people were still ordering,” Alannah explained.
People ordered for graduation parties, church fundraisers, and even out-of-state events.
“Right now zucchini bread is very popular. I just created my own spin on the Arby’s sandwich, their roast beef and cheddar, and a lot of people like that so far.”
Pastries are Alannah’s passion. She said she baked with her mom from a young age. Then, in 2012, when her dad opened his own security and access control business, she knew being a business owner was in her future.
“Watching he and my mother work together really inspired me to be a business owner myself.”
So clearly, this freshman wants to be a baker when she graduates high school, right?
“I want to be a chemist when I get into college. I want to be a chemist.”
Alannah said she may use her chemistry degree to help with her baking, and then one day possibly become a master chef.
If you would like to check out Janae’s House of Bread, go to Alannah’s business Instagram page: janaes_house_of_bread
- 5, including officer, injured and taken to hospital after falling tree causes crash in Suffolk
- One year later: Suffolk city leaders acquire, plan to demolish buildings damaged by tornado
- Virginia Sen. Kaine’s proposal to repeal decades-old war authorization advances to the Senate floor
- VB announces 9 people on shortlist for Kempsville District council seat
- Warwick Little League All-Stars hoping to play in Little League World Series