HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — Two local Walmart stores closed early Saturday evening due to a ‘potential threat’ — one in Chesapeake and one in Norfolk.
WAVY News reporter Tamara Scott confirmed that the Walmart off North Military Highway was closed as of 6:30 p.m.
When she asked customers leaving what was the reason for the closure, they told Scott it was due to “riot concerns.”
At 6:30 p.m., Chesapeake Police confirmed that the Chesapeake Square Walmart was also closed down for the rest of the day as a result of a “potential threat.”
Chesapeake Police are closely monitoring the situation.
It is not confirmed if the closures and are related to the recent protests or something else.
10 On Your Side reached out to Walmart for a statement regarding the closures.
As we continue monitoring the situations unfolding in cities across the country, we will keep our focus on prioritizing the safety of our associates and customers. We’ll make the decisions to close stores in your area based on the needs of the community.Walmart Corporate Communications
- Police looking for two women accused of stealing from Virginia Beach liquor store
- Police looking for repeat offender accused of stealing from liquor stores
- 2020 Ferguson North American Sand Soccer Championships canceled this year
- Norfolk Police asking for help identifying men who broke into convenience stores
- Williamsburg Police looking for person who didn’t pay for 7-Eleven items