VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach Police say two pedestrians died Thursday night after they were hit by a vehicle.
Police tweeted around 9:30 p.m. saying they were still on the scene of the crash, which was at Independence Boulevard and Broad Street. The call came in around 9 p.m.
The victims have been identified as 73-year-old Madelyn Marie Jeffery and 83-year-old Raymond Francis Jeffery. Both of Delaware residents.
Police say preliminary investigation shows the two walked into the road and were hit by a vehicle.
Officers attempted to give aid and save their lives, but both died from their injuries at the scene.
Southbound traffic on Independence Boulevard was being diverted down Broad Street for several hours. The crash is being investigated by the Fatal Crash Team (FACT).
Drivers should avoid the area and use alternate routes.
As of Friday afternoon, police spokeswoman MPO Linda Kuehn said it “appears the driver involved won’t be charged.”
Kuehn said the pedestrians crossed in the crosswalk, but didn’t have the right-of-way.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Group opposed to Norfolk casino deal to hold press conference Thursday; new information to be released
- The historic role of El Lector in educating cigar factory workers
- 870,000 Americans filed new unemployment claims last week
- Blog: Moisture At The Doors!
- Former Scott Taylor staffer due in court Thursday on election fraud charges