Alarm didn’t go off in fire at Norfolk’s Hague Towers, officials say

News

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — An alarm didn’t go off after a second-floor storage room fire at Norfolk’s Hague Towers forced 30 residents to evacuate their apartments overnight Thursday, officials say.

Norfolk Fire-Rescue officials said multiple calls were received shortly after midnight on Thursday from residents reporting they could smell smoke in their apartments and hallways.

Crews arrived on scene in three minutes and quickly contained and extinguished the fire.

The 30 residents gathered in the lobby while firefighters responded, before later being allowed to return to their apartments, officials said. No injuries were reported.

Fire damage was limited to the storage room, while some adjacent rooms sustained some water damage. A haze of smoke was found on several other floors of the high-rise apartment building.

Capt. Damon Langley with Norfolk Fire-Rescue the fire alarm did not go off because the fire burned through the wires that activate the alarm. This caused a delay in residents being notified about the fire.

Most residents found out about the fire through the smell of smoke coming from the duck work, he said.

Langley said they have not demanded the electricity be turned off, but in the process of redoing the alarm system Hague Tower officials could’ve turned it off themselves. 

A leasing manager for Hague Towers told 10 On Your Side a lamp in the storage room ignited a nearby couch, causing the fire.

A power outage is impacting about half of the apartment’s residents, 10 On Your Side has learned.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories