7 children, 3 adults displaced in downtown Suffolk house fire


SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — 10 people were displaced Tuesday night after a house in downtown Suffolk caught fire, officials say.

City of Suffolk officials said in a news release firefighters were dispatched to 100 block of Halifax Street just after 8:15 p.m. Tuesday for a fire at a two-story building.

The home’s 10 occupants — which included seven children and three adults — were out of the home before first responders arrived.

Officials said firefighters worked through heavy smoke before locating a fire on the second floor.

There were no injuries reported, but officials said the 10 residents have been displaced and will be assisted by the American Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

Deyshanna Phelps and Keyondra Porter were home at the time of the fire.

“Most of the kids were upstairs. We were downstairs. One of the kids came running, the other kids came running and we went upstairs to see. It was nothing, just smoke,” Phelps said.

Phelps said they all ran outside as firefighters responded.

“Everyone made it out safe. I’m glad no one got hurt, no one got burnt, no one got smoke in their lungs but our kids have no clothes. Everything is gone. We have to start over,” Porter said.

Right now, the 10 need clothing.

The kids ages range from 3 to 15.

“As far as it goes for anyone helping us, we’d appreciate it,” Phelps said.

If you’d like to donate, email kara.dixon@wavy.com

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook