KNOTTS ISLAND, N.C. (WAVY) — Five people, including four children, are displaced from their home after it caught fire Saturday afternoon on Knotts Island.
Currituck County Fire and EMS Chief Ralph Melton says the fire happened on Woodleigh Road just before 3 p.m.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they saw fire coming from the home’s attic. It took about an hour to get the fire under control.
Officials with the Virginia Beach Fire Department said the family’s cat was found inside home, and was near death. Firefighters revived the cat using a special oxygen mask.
Gallery: Fire destroys home on Knotts Island
The house suffered heavy damage to roof and “virtually every room inside,” officials said in a news release. A car that was parked near the home was also damaged by the fire.
Melton said there were no injuries reported. The fire appears to be accidental and started on the kitchen stove.
According to Melton, the occupant in the house at the time had initially extinguished the fire when it started on the stove without realizing it had already spread to the attic.
The Virginia Beach Fire Department, Virginia Beach EMS, Knotts Island Volunteer Fire Department and the Currituck Sheriff’s Office assisted with the fire.
Melton would like to remind citizens to call 911 when there’s a fire because it can be hidden in a void space.