SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Four homes were evacuated due to a gas leak Wednesday afternoon in downtown Suffolk.
City officials said a gas line was ruptured in the 100 block of Oakdale Terrace. Dispatchers were alerted to the situation just before 3 p.m.
Officials said a contractor working in the area had ruptured a gas line. Virginia Natural gas responded to the scene to make repairs to the line.
A portion of Oakdale Terrace was closed while repairs were finalized, officials said.
Residents of the four evacuated homes were later allowed to return.