2 people critically hurt after Hampton townhouse fire


Fire crews responded to a townhouse fire Wednesday evening in Hampton.

Firefighters were called to Hollis Wood Drive just before 8 p.m.

A spokesman for the Hampton Division of Fire-Rescue said two people were taken to a local trauma center with injuries considered life-threatening.

Fire officials say when they arrived on scene they found a victim trapped in the home at the top of the stairs.

The victim’s family members tell 10 On Your Side not only did they lose everything in this fire, but that those two and a third person are all still in the hospital.

They say Gerald Sanders and her mother, Mary Hunt, are both in induced comas right now.

In addition, Robert Hunt also has bad burns and is expected to be transferred to the burn unit soon.

10 On Your Side went to the scene and talked to neighbors.

They described how they saw Robert Hunt begging for help as his wife was trapped inside their home.

That was the chaotic scene neighbor, Germaine Harris, described seeing when she stepped outside.

“He was calling out for help, he was trying to save his family, and the loved ones he had in the home,” said Harris.

Harris says without hesitation she, her family, and a few other community members sprang into action.

She says while some people, like her mom, were knocking on doors, she helped attempt to put the fire out.

“There was a water hose nearby. We were trying to fight off the smoke, the fire, whatever was going on inside, so that we could make our way in, but again, that wasn’t possible because it was just intense smoke coming out of the home,” she added.

Harris says they couldn’t get to 85-year-old Mary Hunt.

When firefighters arrived they found Hunt on the second floor at the top of the stairs, and Sanders on a nearby porch.

“Once they realized there was someone in there they were able to go in and bring her out and began to try and resuscitate her,” she explained.

Harris says Sanders was later helped by the paramedics after she indicated she had burns and needed oxygen.

“We just wanted to get them help we’ve been living here and been neighbors for an extremely long time and we love them like family so we wanted them to get out of the burning building,” said Harris.

Official say the unit where the fire started and one connected to it will be condemned.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook