NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A local artist’s new asphalt art project in Norfolk is hoping to bring the community together for a ribbon-cutting and dance celebration.
Local artist Mensah Bey will be working with community volunteers to complete, Gathering in Abundance, a street mural on Bland Street near the Five Points Intersection in the Norview neighborhood.
Mensah will be painting on October 14, 15 and 16. The public is invited to a ribbon-cutting and dance celebration on Saturday, October 17 from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
The 100’ long, brightly colored artwork draws inspiration from West African Adinkra symbolism. Ideas of unity, togetherness, abundance, and cooperation are used to inspire growth in community, business, and relationships.
The artwork also uses pedestrian movement and dance to evoke a sense of activity and caution when entering/exiting this side street to a busy and popular intersection.
All events will take place at the OpenNorfolk Neighborhood Spot between Bland Street and the Five Points intersection.
Free tacos will be served by PDS Taco truck and the Norfolk Police Department will share and enjoy ice cream treats with everyone from the COPsicle Ice Cream Truck. Justice the NPD Mascot will also be on site!
To learn more, click here.
- Virginia lawmakers approve bill giving citizen review boards power to discipline police; measure headed to governor’s desk
- Warner and Kaine announce more than $600,000 in funding to support The Up Center in Norfolk
- Virginia health centers collaborate to expand access to cancer clinical trials in coastal Virginia
- Police reform bills head to Northam’s desk as unprecedented special session nears end
- Lagging behind: rural broadband expansion promises faster speeds for downstate schools, hospitals