NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Earlier this year, we introduced you to Crystal Sessoms, the director of the Newsome House Museum and Cultural Center. The Hampton Roads native spoke of her passion for preserving African American History throughout the region where she was raised.
This week, we met with Sessoms again to discuss the historical significance of the Newsome House and the family who resided there for nearly 70 years.
The museum is open Thursday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is a $2 suggested donation to aid in future programming at the museum.
The Newsome House Foundation is also working on docuseries focusing on African Americans who live in Virginia. If you’re interested in participating, give them a call at 757-247-2360.
- Mega Millions jackpot now at estimated $1 billion, large prize due to long odds, slow sales
- CDC recommends against getting other vaccines close to when you get the COVID-19 vaccine
- Newsfeed Now: Biden administration asks Congress to pass COVID-19 relief bill; Texas group prepares Biden lawsuits
- Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron dies at 86
- Virginia Jan. 22 COVID-19 update: Virginia surpasses 6,000 COVID-19 deaths, cases down this week