NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center is a multi-purpose cultural space in the Southeast community of Newport News. The center is a destination for music, dance, and art — but there’s more than meets the eye.
Many people don’t know that the structure itself has been around for more than a century. Michelle Gilliam, the cultural supervisor for the City of Newport News, sat down with the Hampton Roads Show to give us a history lesson on this remarkable landmark.
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center is now open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., located at 2410 Wickham Avenue in Newport News.
For more information visit downinggross.org or give them a call at (757) 247-8950.
More from HRS!
- Georgia teen loses both parents to COVID-19 just days apart
- Minnesota’s Matt Dumba becomes first NHL player to kneel during US anthem in protest of racial injustice
- Tracking the Tropics: Hurricane warning issued for parts of the Carolinas as Isaias moves north
- Outer Banks waits as Tropical Storm Isaias creeps up the coast
- Virginia Beach Lifesaving Services prepare for Tropical Storm Isaias