NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center is a multi-purpose cultural space in the Southeast community of Newport News. The center is a destination for music, dance, and art — but there’s more than meets the eye.
Many people don’t know that the structure itself has been around for more than a century. Michelle Gilliam, the cultural supervisor for the City of Newport News, sat down with the Hampton Roads Show to give us a history lesson on this remarkable landmark.
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center is now open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., located at 2410 Wickham Avenue in Newport News.
For more information visit downinggross.org or give them a call at (757) 247-8950.
More from HRS!
- Elk reintroduction boosts tourism and economy in Southern Virginia
- Virginia Oct. 25 COVID-19 update: 999 new cases reported statewide, percent positivity rises in Hampton Roads
- Pope names 13 new cardinals, includes WDC Archbishop Gregory
- Blog: TD 28 Now Tropical Storm Zeta
- No. 11 Miami holds off Virginia 19-14, moves to 5-1