HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — Labor Day is a national, public holiday celebrated every year on the first Monday of September.
Here’s a list of city and county governments and services that are closed and/or have adjusted schedules for Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 2:
In honor of Labor Day, all City of Chesapeake offices, courts, and community centers will be closed on Monday, September 2.
The Chesapeake Visitor’s Center, 1224 Progressive Drive, will be open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
All Chesapeake Public Libraries will be closed on Sunday, September 1 and Monday, September 2.
There will be no changes to the trash or recycling collection schedules.
Normal operating hours for all facilities will resume on Tuesday, September 3. Residents with questions may call the Customer Contact Center at 382-CITY from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or visit CityOfChesapeake.net 24-hours per day.
The City says schools and most city offices will be closed Monday, Sept. 2, for Labor Day.
Trash collection normally scheduled for Monday will be picked up on Wednesday, Sept. 4, and Monday street sweeping will take place Saturday, Sept. 7.
Click here for a complete list of what city services are closed and open in Hampton on Labor Day.
City Offices – closed Monday, September 2
Libraries – closed Monday, September 2
Garbage, recycling and bulk waste collections – No collections on Monday, September 2. All collections for the week will be delayed one day, i.e., Monday’s collections will take place on Tuesday, Tuesday’s on Wednesday, Wednesday’s on Thursday, and Thursday’s on Friday.
Recovery Operations Center (i.e., landfill) – closed Monday, September 2
Peninsula Regional Animal Shelter (serves the residents of Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson and York County) – open for adoptions 12-5 on September 2; reunite lobby open daily from 8 am – 5 pm for owner surrenders, reclaims and stray drop offs.
The City of Norfolk’s government offices, including City Hall and all libraries, will close in observance of Labor Day. The closures include the Norfolk Courthouse, offices of the Commissioner of the Revenue and the City Treasurer. Offices will reopen at regular business hours on Tuesday, Sept. 3.
The outdoor pools at the Norfolk Fitness and Wellness Center and Chesterfield Recreation Center will open from 11 a.m.to 5 p.m. on Labor Day. Outdoor swimming pools and splash pads will close for the season on Tuesday, Sept. 3 and beach lifeguards will go off duty. All other recreation facilities, including indoor swimming pools, will close on Labor Day.
All Norfolk Public Library locations will close on Labor Day and reopen on Tuesday. Norfolk Animal Care and Adoption Center will close for the holiday and reopen on Tuesday as well.
Requests for bulk waste collection on Tuesday, Sept. 3 must be made before 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 30. To schedule bulk waste collection, call the Norfolk Cares Center at 757-664-6510 or fill out a request online and click on the Request Tracker.
The municipal offices of the City of Portsmouth, including Portsmouth Public Library and all city recreation centers, will be closed in observance of Labor Day on Monday, September 2.
There will be no garbage, recycling, or bulk collections on Monday, September 2. All Monday routes will be collected on Wednesday, September 4. For more information about garbage, recycling, or bulk collections, please call 393-8663.
Portsmouth Visitor Center, located at 6 Crawford Parkway, will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. For more information, call 393-5111.
The Children’s Museum of Virginia, located at 221 High Street, will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. For more information, visit www.childrensmuseumva.com.
The Portsmouth Art and Cultural Center, Lightship PORTSMOUTH, and The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum will be open from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Please visit these websites for more information: www.portsmouthartcenter.com, and www.portsnavalmuseums.com.
The Portsmouth Art & Cultural Center and the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum offer free admission to active duty military families through Labor Day 2019 as participants in the Blue Star Families Program.
The Portsmouth Colored Community Library Museum will be closed on Labor Day.
The Splash Park is open from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. through the last day of the season, Sunday, September 1.
Cavalier Manor Pool and SportsPlex Pool are open from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. through the last day of the season, Sunday, September 1.
On Labor Day, the public parks will be open from dawn to dusk with no attendants on duty.
The Links Golf Course, located at 140 City Park Avenue, will be open on Labor Day from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. For more information, call 465-1500.
Bide-A-Wee Golf Course, located at 1 Bide-A-Wee Lane, will be open on Labor Day from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. For more information, call 393-8600 or visit: www.bideaweegolf.com.
Suffolk City offices will be closed Monday, Sept. 2. Normal operations will resume Tuesday, Sept. 3 at 8:30 a.m.
Suffolk Public Works Department will pick up trash as scheduled next week. TFC Recycling will also conduct their normal recycling collection routes. Suffolk Public Works Department reminds you that trash must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. For more information on refuse collection, call Public Works at 757-514-7630.
The Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) Suffolk Transfer Station will be open from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 2. The Regional Landfill be open from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 2.
Suffolk Transit will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2. Operations will resume on Tuesday, Sept. 3.
All Suffolk Parks and Recreation Joint Use Recreation Facilities will be closed Monday, Sept. 2nd. The East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2. The Suffolk Parks & Recreation Administration Office will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2.
Suffolk’s four major parks (Lone Star Lakes, Constant’s Wharf, Sleepy Hole,
Bennett’s Creek) will remain open Monday, Sept. 2; however, no park attendant will be on duty.
Cypress Park & Pool will close for the Summer season at 6 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 1.
The Suffolk Art Gallery will be closed Monday, Sept. 2.
All Suffolk City Libraries (Morgan Memorial, North Suffolk, Chuckatuck) will be closed Monday, Sept. 2.
The Suffolk Tourism Visitor Center will remain open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 2. The Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday, Sept. 2.
The Suffolk Executive Airport Terminal will be unmanned Monday, Sept. 2. The field, self-service fuel island, and restaurant will remain open Monday, Sept. 2.
The following Virginia Beach facilities will be CLOSED Monday, Sept. 2 in observance of Labor Day:
- All City of Virginia Beach offices
- All Virginia Beach community recreation centers
- All Virginia Beach public libraries
- TCC/City Joint-Use Library will be closed Aug. 31
- All Virginia Beach city public schools and administration offices
- Francis Land House, Lynnhaven House, Thoroughgood House and Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School Museum
- Sandler Center for the Performing Arts administrative offices and Box Office
- Virginia Beach Circuit Court, General District Court, Juvenile & Domestic Relations Courts and Clerk’s Offices
- Virginia Beach City Landfill & Resource Recovery Center
- Virginia Beach Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office
- Virginia Beach Convention Center administrative offices
- Virginia Beach Public Health Department
The following facilities are OPEN to the public, Monday, Sept. 2 during the following hours:
- All Virginia Beach city parks and park facilities – 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center – 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Virginia Beach Animal Care and Adoption Center – 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Virginia Beach Farmers Market Closed – Market Vendors Open – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Visitor Center on the Chesapeake Bay Center at First Landing – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Visitor Center Information Kiosks at 24th & 17th streets – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Visitor Information Center – 2100 Parks Ave. – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- For assistance regarding city services, contact VB311 Citizen Services by dialing 3-1-1 or (757) 385-3111 by phone and listen to available options.
City offices will be closed for the Labor Day holiday. This includes all offices in the Municipal Building on Lafayette Street. The Quarterpath Recreation Center is closed for maintenance and will remain so through early September.
All City parks will be open including Waller Mill Park and all recreation/water activities.
Garbage Collection: Delayed one day. Regularly scheduled Monday collection will be picked up on Tuesday, Sept. 3 and regularly scheduled Tuesday collection will be picked up Wednesday, Sept. 4.
Recycling Collection: There is no recycling collection this week.
Water Emergencies: After hours, weekends and holidays, call 757-220-2331.
If you need to pay a City bill when the offices are closed, there is a 24-hour bill payment drop box located on the front of the Municipal Building, 401 Lafayette Street for City transactions. Payments made on Monday, Sept. 2 will not be posted until Tuesday, Sept. 3. You can also pay City bills online.
Additional Labor Day Information:
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV Diamond Lanes and 64 Express Lanes – HOV restrictions and express lanes tolls will be lifted on Monday, Sept. 2; HOV restrictions are not enforced on Sundays. The 64 Express Lanes in Norfolk are free of charge and open to motorists outside of normal operating hours, including Sundays.
- I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) – Local traffic to Virginia Beach is encouraged to use the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) as an alternative to the HRBT. If traveling to Virginia Beach, take I-664 south to the MMMBT. Then take the Portsmouth/Norfolk exit (exit 15A) to I-264 east to Virginia Beach.
- Travel to Outer Banks – Local traffic to the North Carolina Outer Banks should use I-664 and the MMMBT to save time. From I-664 south, take I-64 west to exit 292, Chesapeake Expressway/I-464/Route 17. Keep left to continue to the Chesapeake Expressway (Route 168), and take Nags Head/Great Bridge (exit 291B) to the Outer Banks.
Hampton Roads Transit Labor Day Schedule:
- HRT Bus and Light Rail services will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- The Ferry will operate on its Summer Weekday Schedule.
- Transit Center Information Booths and administrative facilities will be closed.
- The Customer Service Call Center will be available from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.