‘Coats for families’ collects thousands of coats for the winter

Coats for Families

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – 10 On Your Side is helping to keep local families warm this winter. Our Coats for Families drive is underway.

So far, we’ve collected more than 6-thousand coats. And we’ll keep going until February.

There were four locations distributing coats today. The Y on Granby Street in Norfolk, the Effingham Street Family Y in Portsmouth, the Greenbrier Family Y in Chesapeake and  Mount Trashmore Family Y in Virginia Beach were all open to families who needed coats today.

10 On Your Side was at the Y on Granby, where there was a line for the coats. There were coats for men, women, boys and girls but, the Major Gift director for the YMCA of South Hampton roads says, she is seeing a more specific need.

“I’m finding larger sizes for men we need a lot of large sizes for men, so if you have extra large, two X even three X, they are needing these extra sizes.”

“I came out to get some kids coats and my husband a coat. Everybody got the flu in my house so I walked all the way from up there on Hampton Blvd and I heard ya’ll on channel 10 today saying free coats,” said one Norfolk resident. 

We are still looking to collect all sizes, including children’s coats.
If you would like to donate a coat, we have drop off locations on wavy.com. There, you can also find out the distribution dates and addresses if you’re in need of a coat.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Contact 10 On Your Side

Need 10 On Your Side?

Contact 10 On Your Side Click here for details.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook