PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia’s sales tax holiday weekend is coming up and 10 On Your Side has all the information you need to get the most out of your shopping trip.
The 3-day holiday spans the first full weekend in August this year: Friday, Aug. 7 through Sunday, Aug. 9. Shoppers all over Hampton Roads can save money by not having to pay sales tax on certain items purchased. You can even take advantage of these deals online.
Look up your current sales tax rate at this link.
What items are eligible?
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
If you’re going to take advantage of the tax-free weekend for school supplies, consider helping local students in need.
For nearly three decades, WAVY-TV 10’s Operation School Supplies campaign has collected notebooks, paper, pencils, and other supplies that students need for the upcoming school year. For the first time, this year’s campaign is accepting online donations. Get all the details here.
- Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine low temperature requirement poses challenges
- Black Diamond Weekend conference available for Hampton Roads minority-owned businesses
- Potential long-term closure at Centerville Turnpike Bridge in Chesapeake leaves businesses worried
- 2 dead in 6-vehicle crash Thanksgiving night in Richmond’s northside
- Family of Norfolk shooting victim offering $10,000 reward for information leading to suspect’s arrest