PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) - The American Red Cross is mobilizing disaster response volunteers across the east coast Friday, and urging residents to prepare now.
Keep the following tips in mind as you prepare for Hurricane Sandy:
- Keep Informed - Tune in to WAVY News online and on-air and download the WAVY app for your smartphone or tablet.
- Prepare a family communication plan - Know where your family members are and how to get in touch with them as the storm approaches. Designate a friend or relative who lives far away from the storm to be your family contact in case your family gets separate.
- Help seniors, disabled and those with special needs get prepared. Make sure they have their medications and any special equipment they need.
- Make sure you have a disaster kit - Assume you won't have electricity and no drinking water. Purchase canned or dried foods and enough bottled water - at least one gallon per person per day. Have a first aid kit, flashlight, batteries, any medications you might take, diapers for the little ones and cash.
- Click here for a full shopping list.
- Gather important documents.
- Take steps to prevent damage to your home, such as cleaning out gutters, putting away lawn furniture, election signs, or anything that could become a missile in the wind.
- Fill your car(s) up with gas.
Charges have been made in a domestic abuse investigation involving a 74-year-old woman in Elizabeth City.
Witnesses tell WAVY.com the attack of a shopper was the cause of a heavy police presence at the Ross department store at Military Circle in Norfolk Wednesday night.
Drivers traveling between Hatteras Island and the mainland were forced to use an emergency ferry Wednesday, following the sudden closure of the Bonner Bridge Tuesday.