RICHMOND, Va. (WAVY) - Cooling assistance applications are now being accepted by local social service departments.
To be eligible for the program, applicants must have a household which includes a child under 6-years-old, a person with disabilities, or an adult over the age of 60.
The maximum gross monthly income before taxes for a one-person household is $1,211 and $2,498 for a household of four.
Cooling assistance can include:
- Payment of electric bills to operate cooling equipment
- Payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment
- Repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump
- Purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fans
- Purchase and installation of a window unit air conditioner for households without a working one.
Assistance is available until funds are depleted.
A company has been hired to complete the repairs to the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge on the Outer Banks, but how long those repairs will take remains unknown.
Drivers traveling between Hatteras Island and the mainland were forced to use an emergency ferry Wednesday, following the sudden closure of the Bonner Bridge Tuesday.
State officials say construction on a new Bonner Bridge has been delayed for years because of a legal battle with an environmental group.