RICHMOND, Va. (WAVY) - Cooling assistance applications are now being accepted by local social service departments.
To be eligible for the program, applicants must have a household which includes a child under 6-years-old, a person with disabilities, or an adult over the age of 60.
The maximum gross monthly income before taxes for a one-person household is $1,211 and $2,498 for a household of four.
Cooling assistance can include:
- Payment of electric bills to operate cooling equipment
- Payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment
- Repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump
- Purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fans
- Purchase and installation of a window unit air conditioner for households without a working one.
Assistance is available until funds are depleted.
State officials say construction on a new Bonner Bridge has been delayed for years because of a legal battle with an environmental group.
The Coast Guard transported two people off Hatteras Island early Thursday morning following the sudden closure of the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge Tuesday.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation says dredging beneath the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge will likely begin Friday afternoon.