HAMPTON ROADS (WAVY) - Department of Defense officials said Monday that nearly half of all JFCOM employees will still have their jobs in Hampton Roads once realignment is complete.
That's good news for thousands of people and their families who thought most of the command was to be terminated.
As part of the disestablishment of U.S. Joint Forces Command, the Department of Defense announced Monday the approved reassignment of critical JFCOM organizations and functions to designated combatant commands, military services and the Joint Staff.
"Our goal is to transfer streamlined, relevant joint functions to appropriate Department of Defense entities," said Gen. Raymond Odierno, commander, U.S. Joint Forces Command. "We will ensure we sustain the momentum and gains in jointness while maintaining critical interaction with NATO and other multi-national partners."
As WAVY.com first reported last year, when the military decided to close the Joint Forces Command, Suffolk would be the hardest hit.
Many of the employees work in Lakeview Industrial Park and some work in Norfolk.
Department of Defense officials said JFCOM will be disestablished as a four-star combatant command by the end of August 2011.
The physical moves of all JFCOM activities will be completed by March 2012.
After giving money to a landowner for a new construction project, VDOT says the amount it paid wasn't right. They are now asking a Virginia Beach couple to cough up $160,000.
Governor-elect Terry McAuliffe spent part of Wednesday in Hampton Roads, talking about the future of the region.
A man is facing attempted abduction charges after police said he tried to grab two juvenile girls and exposed himself.