VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Virginia Beach firefighters battled a house fire early Thursday morning. Investigators found illegal fireworks inside a trash can in the home.
Battalion Chief James Ramsey told WAVY.com fire crews responded to the 500 block of Caddy Court shortly before 1 a.m. Flames were shooting out of the garage and spreading into the home's attic.
Five people inside managed to get out of the home. One man injured his hand trying to break a piece of glass while freeing his dog. The second victim suffered minor smoke inhalation.
A firefighter was also injured after the victims' cat bit him. The injuries were minor.
Investigators say someone put used fireworks into an indoor trash can.
"The fireworks were shot off and then they threw them in the trash can," Battalion Chief Tim Riley with the Virginia Beach Fire Department said. "It lit the trash can up and extended to the house."
It took crews about 30 minutes to knock down the flames and get the fire under control.
Ramsey says the home is now uninhabitable, displacing five people.
It's not the first house fire in Virginia Beach investigators say was sparked by illegal fireworks. Ramsey said another fire started about 45 minutes later in the 2000 block of Sandfiddler Road .
A Chesapeake music teacher could rub elbows with celebrities and bring home a Grammy next year.
A Suffolk man told police a 3 ton HVAC system was stolen from his property sometime last week.
A Newport News mother was arrested in York County for drug charges while she was with her children, according to the York-Poquoson Sheriff's Office.