VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - A generator used to power a townhouse exploded while inside a van Wednesday morning, spreading flames to the home.
Battalion Chief James Ramsey with the Virginia Beach Fire Department told WAVY.com the explosion happened around 12:30 a.m. in the 1400 block of Dighton Court.
Sabrina Sherwood lives in the townhouse with her boyfriend and two children. Her parents told 10 On Your Side Sherwood couldn't afford to pay the heating bill and the power was cut off.
"She does what she has to to make it for her and her boys," Gary Blair said.
Dawn Blair said her daughter was concerned a generator she wanted to use would make too much noise and bother neighbors and that's why she put it inside the van.
"Generators need to be in the open," Dawn Blair said.
The fire spread to one neighbor's home but no one was hurt. The townhouse sustained moderate smoke and fire damage and the van sustained major damage.
A routine traffic stop in Chesapeake resulted in a three-city pursuit Friday morning.
Wet weather is expected to move into the area over the weekend, forcing some areas to cancel or change their holiday events.
Four vehicles were involved in a crash on Route 17 in Gloucester Friday morning.