VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Although snow accumulation is set to be under two inches throughout the majority of Hampton Roads Friday, WAVY.com is on your side with winter weather driving tips.
Driving instructor Bill Turner with the Hampton Roads Driving Schools suggested checking the following before you even start your car:
- Take a look under the hood
- Check ignitions, engine and brakes to make sure they are in good running condition
- Make sure you have an ice scraper handy to clear your windshields and head lights
"I would recommend people to stay off they road if they don't have to travel in the snow," Turner said.
If you have to drive while it's snowing, Turner suggests increasing the distance between yourself and other cars and driving slower than the speed limit.
"If there is snow or ice on the road, you need to avoid rapid accelerating or hard breaking," Turner said.
If you get stuck in the snow, Turner said to shift into one of your lower gears.
"You probably want to rock your car out by shifting from lower gear to reverse. Continue to rock it until you can get enough traction to get out," Turner said.
You can also sprinkle some salt or kitty litter in front of your tires to provide traction. The forecasted snow isn't expected to stay around for long, but that doesn't mean you can press the pedal to the metal once it melts.
"You need to look out for black ice especially when the sun is going down or you are in a shaded area," Turner said. "I've had a situation where we hit a patch of black ice, and lost control of the car. That was a little scary.
A lot of drivers skid in snowy, icy conditions.
If your back wheels skid, follow these steps:
- Take your foot off the accelerator and steer in the direction you want your wheels to go. For example, if your back wheels are skidding left, turn your steering wheel to the left
- You may have to steer left and right a few times until you get the car under control
- If you have standard brakes, pump gently
- If you have anti-lock brakes, apply steady pressure to your brakes
If your front wheels skid:
- Take your foot off the gas and shift to neutral, but don't steer immediately
- When the wheel skids sideways, your car will slow down and traction should return
- When your car gets traction, steer in the direction you want to go, put the transmission in drive and accelerate gently
Norfolk Police are investigating the cause of death for male found unconscious on the beach.
A fire sparked in the laundry room of an apartment in Chesapeake late Thursday night.
Suffolk police are looking for a man and a woman they say robbed a Kangaroo Express gas station on Wilroy Road Sunday afternoon.