VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Several people were able to safely escape a house fire in Virginia Beach Thursday morning.
Amy Valdez with the Virginia Beach Fire Department said firefighters were dispatched to Seabury Circle off Salem Road before 7:45 a.m. for a report of a residential fire.
The fire sparked in the rear of the house -- an accident caused by a shortage in the HVAC unit in the attic, according to Valdez.
Three adults and two children inside at the time of the fire escaped.
Crews put the fire out, but one firefighter was transported with an injury to the shoulder. A second firefighter was injured during the overhaul process and suffered a cut to the head, Valdez said.
The home suffered major damage to the left rear of the structure and the fire extended up into the attic and roof.
Charges have been made in a domestic abuse investigation involving a 74-year-old woman in Elizabeth City.
Witnesses tell WAVY.com the attack of a shopper was the cause of a heavy police presence at the Ross department store at Military Circle in Norfolk Wednesday night.
Drivers traveling between Hatteras Island and the mainland were forced to use an emergency ferry Wednesday, following the sudden closure of the Bonner Bridge Tuesday.