VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Fire investigators say that an improperly discarded cigarette sparked a fire in a Virginia Beach apartment late Friday night.
Fire crews arrived at 6101 Shinglemaker Court just before midnight after receiving reports of an apartment fire. Crews arrived to find the bedroom in a second floor apartment engulfed in flames.
One person who was home at the time was able to escape the fire after being alerted by a smoke detector, according to a fire department spokesman.
Firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control in about 20 minutes.
No one was injured.
Camden County Sheriff Tony Perry said that during the last two weeks, incidents of breaking and entering and home or vehicle larceny have increased in two areas of the county.
A Facebook post helped Elizabeth City Police identify and locate the suspect of a hit-and-run incident involving a 3-year-old this week.
As Newport News Fire Chief Scott Liebold plans to retire at the end of this month, the city is looking for his replacement -- and they want your help.