SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Wal-Mart on North Main Street in Suffolk was closed after carbon monoxide was detected in the store Tuesday.
Diana Klink with the City of Suffolk said a customer reported a strong smell of gas in various areas throughout the store just before 9 a.m.
Fire crews arrived on scene and detected the carbon monoxide using gas meters.
Customers and employees were evacuated around 10:45 a.m. and the store was reopened at 6:50 p.m. except for the bakery and deli departments, according to Klink.
One shopper in the store at the time was Kim Baptiste.
"So we're in there shopping for about an hour and almost done, and they come on the P.A. and say we need to evacuate, 'just leave your stuff.' So, we just left our stuff on the snack aisle and got out," she said.
Klink said police were assisting traffic control in the area.
Mary Keith arrived at the Wal-Mart during the evacuation.
"There were several different places that were blocked, and one of the men told me Wal-Mart was closed due to a gas leak," she said.
Wal-Mart's regional maintenance personnel was contacted by local Wal-Mart officials to respond to the scene because the building's HVAC units are remotely controlled at a Wal-Mart facility outside Virginia.
After an extensive joint investigation, Virginia Natural Gas discovered a gas leak. All natural gas into the building is shut off until repairs are made. Klink said repairs are scheduled for Wednesday. The bakery and deli areas will remain closed until the gas is turned back on.
No injuries or patients were reported. Stay with WAVY.com for more on this developing story.
A barn in the St. Brides section of the city was destroyed by fire Friday afternoon.
Norfolk Police have identified the victims in a double homicide.
Johnathan Montgomery has finally been granted his writ of actual innocence.